a reason for doing something
1. causing movement or action
2. causing or being the reason for something: the motive principle of a writer’s work.
The Write Motive = Reasons to Write
Therefore, here are 3 reasons why The Write Motive exists today to
- Articulate my thoughts, ideas, insights, opinions, findings, experience and journey as I work towards fulfilling my dream: become a published author
- Get good at storytelling & writing (and eventually master both)
- Encourage writers, especially Asians and non-native English speakers, to write and build their author’s dream. Why? There’s a stigma that Asians can’t write (in English) well because
- we are Asians and
- we are labeled as non-native English speakers—which is not necessarily true because, for instance, in Singapore we have to learn English as our first language from pre-school
- we don’t speak with an American or British accent (and thus can’t speak English well—specifically can’t speak with an American or British accent. (Here's somethingWhat do you call a person who can speak 3 languages? Trilingual. What do you call a person who can speak two languages? Bilingual. What do you call a person who can only speak one language?)
I believe that everyone should write and read extensively, not only to articulate their thoughts, their feelings, beliefs; what really matters to them, but as a foundation to become a writer who’s true to oneself, and in the process develop one’s unique voice to share with their world ideas that matter, that can transform the world for the better, one article, blog post or book at a time.
My hope is that, through writing and reading—one can’t do without the other (sure if you watch and analyse drama series and films, I do too, but we still gotta read) may we not only discover the hidden potential of all things but use it to rewrite our past, create our future, and live our dreams.
To embrace and celebrate endless possibilities and create new realities.
HOW ARE YOU GONNA ACHIEVE THE ABOVE?
Be it implementing strategies and steps from non-fiction self-improvement/self-help/personal development books or videos to analysing and deconstructing works that are of interest to me.
I will read books and watch drama series, films, videos and do what I have to do with a dedicated focus on getting good at storytelling & writing so as to fulfil my dream to become a published author.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
Blog posts, case studies, guides, and eventually eBooks and books, where I will share my thoughts, ideas, insights, opinions, findings and experiences—in short, my journey—as I work towards becoming a published author, fiction AND non-fiction.
So that you can apply the ideas to build your author dream—become a master of storytelling and writing.
“You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.”
― Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
The Person Behind The Write Motive
Hello! My name's Jeann.
I'm an international personal development trainer and public speaker, content producer, but at the heart of it all, I'm a writer.
In 2010, I co-founded a company that provided SEO, copywriting, content marketing & creation, social media marketing services. Then I decided to take a break and that's when The Write Motive came to life.
From a total newbie to a copywriter to a content marketer & entrepreneur, my journey has been nothing short of an unpredictable and thrilling (nerve-racking too) rollercoaster ride.
But I realized, everything started because of my passion for writing. One thing just let to the other because I refused to give up.
And I learnt along the way that, the best way to grow in business and life, or in whatever you do, is to help others. Share your expertise freely, help others along the way, collaborate. Not just because it feels good to be generous, but simply because a giving and open-hearted collaboration is way better than selfish competition.
Selfish competition kills business; everyone suffers.
Generous collaboration opens doors; everyone succeeds.
The Write Motive started out in January 2014 as a business providing copywriting services to clients.
But as of 2020, it’s all about an unwavering and dedicated focus to get good at storytelling and writing so we can become the published author we’ve always dreamt of.
“Dream big. Start small. But most of all, start.”
— Simon Sinek